Sunday, October 17, 2010

Fall Fun

Aloha everyone, we hope all is well in your respective parts of the country. Here in New Mexico we are welcoming in a beautiful fall with cool crisp mornings and warm days. Its been hard to stay in doors when the weather is as nice as it has been the last couple weeks.
Last week I forgot to include a pic from our Family Home evening activity. We took the kids to do some "Ding and Dashing". Basically they take a basket of goodies up to a house, ring the doorbell and run back to the car. We made a short list of 6 families that we wanted to get and we set out for the evening. The kids did really well, I don't think they were seen at the door by any of the families. The pic is of the Duncan's house. They have kids our age but we've hung out quite a bit with them and one of their sons. I go golfing with Eric Duncan and his son Steve almost every week. They are fun people.

 last Sunday morning Janelle made (premade) crepes. We ate them with whipped cream and strawberries.
 The kids wanted to try the whipped cream so we gave them a little squirt.
 


Again Alana was really funny, she hates to be left out and wants to participate in anything and everything that her big bro and sis are doing. She would sit there in her highchair with her mouth wide opening making funny "feed me" sounds. She was always surprised by the sound and feel of the squirt of whipped cream.




 We took the kids to the park almost every day this week, some days more then once a day. We took them to a park the will be about a third of a mile from our new house. We had a little Wendys picnic there


 This last Monday we decorated the pumpkins that the kids picked out at Sutherland Farms. This year the kids wanted to try the "Mr. Potato Head" type decorations where you buy the kit and stick the decorations into the pumpkins. It worked out nicely, Alana especially loves hers, she kept kissing it when we were putting it together.
We continue to make progress with the house. They have been making repairs on the house of things we found during the inspection. The house had been vacant for over a year so there were some things we needed to have taken care of. We have a closing date for October 28th, that will be here very very soon so we're scrambling to get things ready.




This week I was talking to Dax about his sleeping habits. He was still wearing a diaper to sleep in and he has been waking up pretty wet. So we started talking and I told him that he wouldn't have to wear any more diapers if he used the potty during the night. He got really excited and said that Dayna doesn't where a diaper and she goes potty at night. So we gave it a try and he did pretty good the first night, better the second and was completely dry this morning. So we might be done with diapers for the boy!



There is a strange "bug" going around down here, it is kind of like a mix of sore throat, upset stomach, and neck pain. This week I did a routine exam on a 5 yr old boy that attends a different Kindergarden class at the same school as Dayna. A few days later the boys name appeared in my schedule again as a "Follow Up". We reserve follow up appointments to actually folow up on a previous extraction or surgery so I was a little confused as to why this boy was a follow up, well it turns out that later that day the boy got a fever, started vomiting and had diarrhea. The mom thought that it was something that we did during the exam. I explained to the mom that if the boy had a tooth that hurt and a fever maybe it would be something dental related but I don't know of anybody that got diarrhea from having an exam done. The day before I picked Dayna up after school and the little girl standing next to her was holding her stomach and frowning and the teacher said that she had at least two students home sick. Anyway I thought that it was kind of funny, but sad for the little guy.



I also saw a pt. the other day for a new patient exam. We got to talking, she was decked out in a flannel and levis. She told me that her and her husband were into horse racing and she was originally from Colorado. I said thats cool, my grandpas kind of a legend in horse racing in the state of Washington (usually when I say that the person has no clue about horse racing in WA, but either way I do believe that Grandpa is a legend up there, he's been around it for ever.) She responded whats your grandpa's name? I said Don Munger, and she said that her husband used to be a jockey up in WA, before they moved down here. She said my husband is in the waiting room, go talk to him.(This was in the middle of my exam). So I went out to find Dale Wales, I looked out into the waiting room, and there he was, exactly what you'd imagine a retired jockey would look like. He had on his long sleeve flannel and levis with a big belt buckle. I said are you Dale? He said yep, well I told him about Grandpa and of course he knew exactly who he was, he said that he had ridden for him many times. I told him that grandpa had gotten a new stud and was having a great season. He was excited to hear that. It just goes to show how small this world is. Dale and his wife Jere train horses in Bloomfield, the next town over, that is where Mind that Bird is from (the 2009 Kentucky Derby winner). So anyway, thats enough stories for today. Hope all is well, we love and miss you guys.

No comments: