Apple Blossom begins
This is the first weekend of the apple blossom activities here in Wenatchee. It is a pretty big deal and this is the 95th year that they have done it. They start with a Kiddies Parade that all the elementary schools are invited to and they invite the local Jr. High and Middle school bands. There were a few bands from out of the area that came as well.
People line the streets for the parades, this is the smaller of the two, I guess the big parade gets even more crowded, that's pretty hard to imagine. The smaller girls enjoyed chasing bubbles while waiting for the parade to start.
This was Dax's first year being part of the parade and he had the tough choice between riding on the Cascade Elementary float or the Mat Cats float. When we told him he could wear his medals it made the decision a lot easier. He is seen in the pic above with his buddies Austin and Walker Bell, among other teammates.
Each participant in the parade was given an ice-cream sandwich as they finished the parade. On the way back to find Janelle I was walking with Dax and Dayna. I asked Dax if he wanted me to carry his medals because they were making a lot of noise as he was walking. He responded by saying, "yes, but don't you dare wear them." I proceeded to explain that I had helped him earn the medals by coaching and also by taking him to the tournaments, he said "nope, I earned them all by myself, I won those matches." Dayna and I straightened him out real quick, explaining that all those times he went to practice and all those times he practiced at home with Dayna, helped him win. He finally submitted to our explanation and said that we helped him. I know that wrestling is an individual sport but he's a little young to be heading down that path. Funny kid!
The Cascade Elementary float one an award for the best representation of the parade's theme, which apparently was "the seasons" meaning, summer, fall, winter and spring. They had a huge semi truck hauling their trailer.
This is a terrible video of Dayna doing her thing. This video was shot after they had finished the parade route, there weren't any people waving back on the sidewalks but she continued to bounce, sing and wave. She later told me that her friend Sophie (the other little blond in the pic) had told her to stop hitting her while she waved, the boy on the other side had told her the same thing. She told me that she couldn't help it, when people waved back at her and smiled that got her all fired up and she had to bounce and wave back much to the discomfort of her float neighbors. She is a crack up, she later said that everybody was going home now that they had already seen her in her float and there wasn't anything else worth seeing.
Dayna did not have a soccer game this week because of Apple blossom but Dax had two tee ball games. Here are a few pics from the game.
Dax had three good hits again, he is quite the slugger. He ended up running over a girl on his team while he chased down a grounder. I guess he remembered wrestling a couple girls during wrestling and thought that the same rules applied in tee ball. The little girl was not happy, I don't think she was hurt physically but she was damaged emotionally as she really wanted that ground ball and Dax was playing first base so he shouldn't have been chasing down a ball in center field. But hey it's tee ball, anything goes.
Here's a pic of Dax's biggest hit, he had swung and missed the two previous pitches.


No comments:
Post a Comment